Walvis Bay (walvis is the Afrikaans word for whale) is Namibia’s largest commercial port. It is a natural gateway for international trade and strategically situated in the central coastal region of Namibia.
This port dates back to its discovery by the Portuguese explorer, Bartholomeus Dias in 1487. In 1910, Walvis Bay became part of the Union of South Africa and remained part of SA after its establishment as a Republic, it was only on the 1st March 1994, when it became reintegrated into Namibia, 4 years after Namibia’s independence. Today, industrial and commercial are the biggest in Walvis Bay. Walvis Bay received their third floating dock in May 2013 !!
Walvis Bay is also known for its abundance bird life at the famous lagoon.
Inhabitants : 80k